Removing Wood Stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My staircase is stained with a dark mahogany wood stain and ideally I'd like to sand it right back to the wood and just coat it with a clear coat of varnish. Is this going to relativly simply or does the wood stain pentrate so deep that it's going to take a lot of sanding. Any suggestions for the quickest/easiest way to remove the wood stain.

Also is there any quick alterntive to removing the wood stain?

Sponsored Links
I suspect that it would take forever to sand stain out right back to the original wood. The stain is likely to have penetrated too deep - I guess depth of stain will be dependant on type of wood and type of stain used originally.

If you want to try sanding back why not try first on an inconspicuous place, you may be lucky.

Failing that have you thought of trying bleaching the wood using something like http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-4725-Liberon-Wood-Bleacher-125ml.html
I have tried something similar a long time ago which worked ok'sh

Cheers :D
Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back