Renault clio cam belt

E

EddieM

My stupid useless clio threw its cam belt today, now ok, I know this is a bit of "how long is a piece of string" but do any of you know what the likely cost impications are? TIA

oh yeah, and it's really f'ed me off cos I didn't get to see my kids on fathers day :(

Sponsored Links
MOst likely £800+

I have/had a megane Alize, it bust a cam belt in Jan.
It was £800 (and that was the cheapest quote) to repair it.

Bent all the valves, needed the head rebuilding, new gaskets, head bolts, belt, pulleys, water pump (best to replace at same time) et all.

Last week, it went again!

The 2 top cogs have a metal guard spot welded onto them, one of these came off, wrapped itself around the cog & made the belt slip causing total failure again.

The car is now being scrapped.
I may just ebay it in parts.

As has been said by many others, "I will never have another french made car!".

If you get it repaired, and it may not be worth it - ensure you get the top cogs/spigots checked out too.

Sponsored Links
no, its scrap. Oh, and it's not even 10 years old.... arrrgh, damned thing.... and its got half a tank of fuel in it.... arrgh, and 8 months road tax, plus it was just MOT'ed and serviced, I need some air......

67k on the clock, that is absolutely awful, no french carp car for me again. At least I have the other one to back me up :)

no, its scrap. Oh, and it's not even 10 years old.... arrrgh, damned thing.... and its got half a tank of fuel in it.... arrgh, and 8 months road tax, plus it was just MOT'ed and serviced, I need some air......

67k on the clock, that is absolutely awful, no french carp car for me again. At least I have the other one to back me up :)

You can get the road tax refunded.

Also some manufacturers have sensibly went back to chains. Who would design in an engine critical part made out of rubber. I had the belt tensoner pulley go on a 3L V6 omega between belt changes, then exactly the same thing on a 2L vectra. The tensoner was made out of plastic... :eek:

Omega £1200 second hand lump fitted.
vectra £850 second hand lump fitted.

Toyota celica 140000 miles, 8 years old and the only thing to go wrong was a radiator leak. (Chains Rule)

Stable door and all that, Eddy, but Honest John says re Renault Clio II (1998 - 2001): 1.2 16vs seem to be suffering a lot of timing belt failures at mileages as low as 36,000. Best to change the belts at 5 years or 40k miles max. On 1,149cc D4F 16v and D7F 8v engines it is essential to change the timing belt, tensioners and the water pump every 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). Early timing belt failures not unknown on RenaultSport Clio 172s, so best to change belt, tensioner and all pulleys at 4 years of 40k miles whichever comes first. :(

Toyota celica 140000 miles, 8 years old and the only thing to go wrong was a radiator leak. (Chains Rule)

Japanese rules :D

MX5...........Non interference engines, cambelt fails just replace..... :LOL:
A few years back a friend of mine had one of those small Volvos where the belt snapped. But it was confirmed as a NIE so the belt was just replaced. Very surprised to hear that this is the case with an MX5 though, Trazor. Does this apply to all MX5 models, d'yer know?

I belive the Clio 1.2 8v (i think, shows how much I know about the car!!) is a fully paid up interference engine, so here's hoping it hasn't bent the valves. There was no particular drama when it went so I'm crossing all my appendages. Find out tomorrow / Thursday.

You may not have heard the valves itting depending on what speed you were doing.

My first was at 70mph, trashed the lot.

last one was on a back street very slow, no sign except for the sound of tapping.

You may not have heard the valves itting depending on what speed you were doing.

My first was at 70mph, trashed the lot.

last one was on a back street very slow, no sign except for the sound of tapping.

i was doing about 70, when it happened, no drama, we will see.

if you're semi handy with a set of spanners, get another engine off ebay and chuck it in.
Bought one for a 106 not too long ago with 3 month warranty (which im sure is the same engine) for around £150 delivered, and about half a days work to chuck it in.

MX5...........Non interference engines, cambelt fails just replace..... :LOL:
A few years back a friend of mine had one of those small Volvos where the belt snapped. But it was confirmed as a NIE so the belt was just replaced. Very surprised to hear that this is the case with an MX5 though, Trazor. Does this apply to all MX5 models, d'yer know?

MK1, MK2, and MK2.5 are all NEI engines....1.6 or 1.8.

The 2.0 litre MK3, I'm not sure about, but that is chain driven.

Sponsored Links
Back