Renault Scenic window problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help here? I've got a W-reg Renault Scenic 1.6 RT (year 2000 model) with a broken window regulator on the driver's door. As you might imagine, the local Renault dealer wants an arm and a leg (£250 :eek: :eek: :eek: ) for a new one so I followed the advice given in an earlier thread on the same subject and looked around.

Yes, I can get one for one fifth of that price but - and here's the catch - it's for a car without the comfort function. After an extensive on-line chat with a very helpful chap on the supplier's website, I established that the comfort function allows you to raise and lower the window with a single flick of the switch. This is a feature I can live without on a twelve year old car. The motor connections are different - two wires instead of the original two-pin connector - but I can get around that easily enough, even if it means using the motor from the old one. (That bit still works. The cable and drum got chewed up after one of the plastic ends broke off the slide rail.) What I can't easily do is modify the fixings if the non-comfort regulator doesn't mechanically fit. :( :( :(

The helpful chap wasn't prepared to commit himself to that level of detail, which is fair enough. Has anybody else been in this situation?

Sponsored Links
i would hazard a guess that the comfort function you mention is usually controlled by the electronic brain not the motor itself so in theory you could connect the new motor to the old wiring

Yes, I'd thought of that. The auto function could be built into the motor but that would require at least three wires. I'll have a look at the connector tonight. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Sponsored Links
BRILLIANT! :D :D :D

I opened the link and the parts look exactly like the ones in my regulator. I'm just about to remove the mangled drum and cable to make sure the motor still turns the shaft. I'll keep you posted.

Update:

The motor runs perfectly in both directions and the dog clutch underneath the cable drum is undamaged. Time to order that repair kit! :) :) :)

Job done! :D :D :D

I bought the repair kit direct from here:

http://www.windowregulatorshop.co.u...it-front-right-with-corner-plastics-559-p.asp

It's exactly the same one as AlanE showed me but direct from the supplier instead of going through eBay. I also found this information very useful:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110541

For the benefit of anybody with the same problem who stumbles upon this thread, here are a few more notes:

1) The Haynes manual recommends removing the glass to free it from the regulator peg. I avoided this by loosening the bottom ends of both guides then, with the window almost down, the glass can be pushed outwards far enough to clear the peg.

2) The two cables in the kit aren't the same length. I'm pretty certain that the bottom one was the longer one but check against your old cables if you can. (One of mine was too far gone for this!)

3) One of the cable ends has to be fitted into the slide block before you fit the block onto the rail. This in turn must be done before you fit both ends! :oops: :oops: :oops:

3) I found it easier to start with the slider in the fully opened position so that very little of the upper cable had to be wound onto the drum.

4) Tensioning was very difficult. In the end, I released the clip from the upper end of the slide rail, fitted the cable ends into the drum assembly (slackest positions) then pulled the upper clip back into place. Note that this clip has a little tab which has to spring into place to lock it on the rail.

5) The assembled mechanism can be tested before fitting by connecting the motor and switch. This proved very useful because, after several up-down operations, I was able to take up some cable slack that hadn't been there before.

Thanks for all the help. I now have a working window again. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back