Render for brick house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two storey brick house in Oslo which needs renovation of the exterior.

From what I can tell, the external brickwork was rendered with cement. Now there are holes in the render and it has lost all colour.

My initial thought was to repair the holes then paint the thing but some people around here have mentioned "kalk" as a better option. I understand this has something to do with lime, but thats about it.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best approach? Or some information on kalk and what its advantages might be?

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
I don't speak Norwegian, but it sounds like the German for lime.

Sand and lime have long been used as mortar and render, especially on old stone houses. It is a bit more flexible and breathes better than sand and cement.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what they have in mind.

It is a bit soft and can blow or fall off after 50 years or so. It can also be damaged if it is round a doorway or alley where it may get knocked or scratched.

Ask to see some other local houses done in the same way.

Most people who learn foreign languages don't know technical terms, and different practices might mean there is no exact equivalent.

Assuming you are English then take your dictionary to the library and look at some Norwegian building books and see how the stuff is made. It is quite likely hydrated lime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back