Render outside plaster inside????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My eyes hurt from searching for months!
Firstly, is there a thread for single skim render on bare aggregate block outside walls.
Found BS sites that want £188 for this info!
Secondly, should I plaster or render very uneven internal sandstone walls prior to dot dab or battens.
Please, I asked a similar question several times months ago. Now at the stage where I need to do it.
Please?
Thank you.
John

Sponsored Links
always best to do 2 coats for render John, scratch first to get it kinda level and control suction then float.

internally, depends how uneven it is, board adhesive will get over some unevenness, if it's bad then a float coat of hardwall rulked off to bring it level.

IMO

Thanks a lot for the reply.
It's very very uneven!
Errr... what is hardwall rulked?
I'll do it once I know what it means. :)

it's the same as hardwall ruled but without the typo! :D

assuming you know what hardwall is? backing plaster basically, wet the background you're applying it to and slap it on, use a straight/feather edge or say a piece of timber to rule it flat.

might be able to find some vids on youtube so that you can get the idea liek this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZoSWaRtds

not suggesting you apply it like he does, somewhat unconventional but you'll see what i mean by ruling off.

Sponsored Links
Loved it!
Very impressive and thank you very much.
Never thought of looking on youtube.
Loads of vids for us novices.
My walls are much worse than that, but I get the idea.
Didn't know what you meant by hardwalled but do now.
Thanks a lot again.
John. :D

might be able to find some vids on youtube so that you can get the idea like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZoSWaRtds

not suggesting you apply it like he does, somewhat unconventional but you'll see what i mean by ruling off.

Like the clip TM1.
Tho when he was flicking the white plaster on, all I could think of was meringue! :eek:

Is that style something the U.S. do?
I'm sure I saw a program on TV the other day where an american 'teen' thought it was a doss and an easy job. He did a couple of days for a pro over there and of course changed his mind about the ease! But they did the same - flicked it on before smoothing off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back