render vs drylining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a late Victorian house, external walls are 18" thick stone, internal walls single skin 4" thick brick. We've knocked off all the original plaster and render from the walls in the dining room and have two options:

Cement render with damp proofing additive or Dryline (with vapour barrier and possibly insulation on external walls). Both followed by plaster skim.

As rendering is a lot of effort and/or cost (depending on diy or professional) I am tending to veer towards drylining. I was thinking about battening the external stone walls and dot and dab for the internal walls.

There will be no heavy items mounted on the walls so assuming plasterboard is the solution, could I get away with 9mm or would 12mm be better?

Any thoughts on pros/cons of each option or alternative suggestions?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Redered and skimmed many barn convertions ,much better results than dry lining but a lot more effort and cost.

That's what I thought. I would like to go for render as it's more in keeping with an old house, but the cost may be prohibitive, and I accept that drylining will give the feeling of hollow walls and a slightly smaller room, but if there are benefits from insulation this may be worth it.
What do you mean by better results? Will the (visible) finish quality be similar?
Cheers,
Mike

When saying better results i mean keeping with the character of the house eg not all walls need to be square like a new build. Most of my customers on older proberties prefer undulating smooth walls keeping the character of the house.

Sponsored Links
I see what you mean. However, in my case it's not a cottage and the walls are fairly straight - undulations would look like a mix between an attempt at adding (out of place) character and incompetent plastering!!
Pretty sure it will be drywall for me, thanks for the comments.
Cheers,
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back