render ratios turned on it's head!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps!

Been reading a book on the construction of houses lately, a text book used in universities apparently.

Anyways, in the rendering chapter it talks of the importance of ratios, now i've always believed it's 4:1 for scratch coat, 5:1 top coat, but the book say 3:1 is what it should be, the reason it says this is that in well graded sand there will 25% air, the aim is to replace this air with the binding agent, whether it be cement, lime or a combination of both.

so, 75% sand to 25% cement say, or 3:1, the idea being that to remove the risk of cracking you need to do 2 things: a) makes ure there isn't too much cement in the mix and b) make sure the mix doesn't need too much water causing cracking when it dries/shrinks.

makes perfect sense to me and i understand the science BUT we know a 3:1 is strong and unsuitable for some backgrounds, in this situation it then says you need to replace some of the cement with lime but always keeping the 3:1 ratio, so for example you mix up 1:1:6 (lime:cement:sand) meaning it's still a 3:1 ratio of binder and sand but now a weaker mix, or 1:2:9.

so nowhere does it talk of the ratios used as rule of thumb today and wondered the the pros on here thought if this info?

Sponsored Links
just a slight observation, reason A is not to have too much cement in the mix, in which case a 4:1 mix applys more to that statment that their 3:1 advisory.

indeed but there is obviously a threshold/tipping point and i suspect stronger than 3:1 is it based on what i've read, i does say that each subsequent coat should be weaker than its substrate so that goes with conventional knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back