Render Wall to Cover Eyesore? Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a property which was partly refurbished but now have the job of understanding what was intended to happen next! Bit of an eye sore at the back of the house as a doorway has been blocked in using breeze blocks (see photos) and is currently under the cover of a temporary shelter which is shielding it from the weather.

As you can see around is white painted brick but I dont know what would be the best way to finish this off. I have an option of rendering but the top half of the building is bare brick which I would like to keep. Is it quite common to have half render half brick ( I have tried to find examples of what this would look like)? I must bring down the temporary shelter which is an eye sore. I have to keep the shelter up at the moment as it is protecting the wall from the elements. Also I doubt that there would be any damp proofing in this section now because of the breeze blocks.

My main questions are... Would it be easier to start again and re brick it or perhaps render just the ground floor so I still have the brick work above? If rendering is seen as the best option then how am I best to do this? Also how should I damp proof this because of the difference in brick is this likely to be a problem?

I am almost tempted to make it look like brick work and just paint over it in the same white. So if there is a cheaper fix to this which would enable me to take the temporary shelter down then I would be grateful to know.

Sponsored Links
Looks like they've replaced the door with a window. Badly! I'd whip that canopy off and leave it exposed to a decent rain shower to see what happens on the inside, just to make sure it's weatherproof.

Render seems to be the only way to make it look half decent, render not so good on the lightweight blocks though, so you might have to eml it.

Any sign as to if the blocks are tied in with the bricks? ie: with metal ties or internal bonding?

Looks like they've replaced the door with a window. Badly! I'd whip that canopy off and leave it exposed to a decent rain shower to see what happens on the inside, just to make sure it's weatherproof.

Render seems to be the only way to make it look half decent, render not so good on the lightweight blocks though, so you might have to eml it.

Any sign as to if the blocks are tied in with the bricks? ie: with metal ties or internal bonding?
You could always stick 'brick slips' on the surface to make it look 'brand new'.

Thank you both,

I think if the breeze blocks were set back just a little more then the brick slips would be a great option as they would end up plush with the existing brick.
Im a little nervous about taking away the shelter for the very reason that on a really rainy day water will soak in and possibly cause damage? I guess i could weather shield first, but being breeze block im not sure how well this would work.
I cant see if it has been tied in with the existing brick work, but do you think Im right in that damp proofing could be a problem?

Sponsored Links
Thank you both,

I think if the breeze blocks were set back just a little more then the brick slips would be a great option as they would end up plush with the existing brick.
Im a little nervous about taking away the shelter for the very reason that on a really rainy day water will soak in and possibly cause damage? I guess i could weather shield first, but being breeze block im not sure how well this would work.
I cant see if it has been tied in with the existing brick work, but do you think Im right in that damp proofing could be a problem?

For the small amount of blockwork there is- it would not take long (2 hours max) to take off 20mm off the surface --with a hand saw cutting lines down the blocks- and then a hammer and bolster to tap off the surface. Then- of course you can use brick slips . (at whatever thickness you want)
Simples !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back