Brick/Slip Brick or Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently in the middle of a extension which is totalling around 130m2
Property is Bungalow, the previous owners painted the brick work white!

After the extension works has been complete around 50% of external walls will show the white painted bricks.

My plan was to the build the extension in concrete blocks and then render the whole bungalow.
I am now thinking to build the extension in brick and then use same type of slip bricks to cover the white bricks.

Has any one done something similar to provide advice? A fresh render looks lovely however i am not sure about the longevity of it, both from a fashion and durable sense. On a plus point, I guess rendering would add add thermal value to the property?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Another option perhaps?
Depending on the hardness of your existing bricks, the paint could be soda/sand blasted off?

Whole terraces were treated this way in my area recently, returning them to their original stone and cream brick finish.

I always thought removing paint off bricks causes damage - something for me to look into though.

Even still, if i remove the white paint i would still be looking to match up the new extension.
Looking to go for a white/grey brick look.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I always thought removing paint off bricks causes damage - something for me to look into though.
As with the hair dye ads, always do a patch test first! ;)

Windsor-2a.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back