rendering a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970's house and previous owners unfortunatly had the walls spay coated with a white textured finish -including pipes and sills! Now partially peeling off in quite large chunks. Render underneath blown in areas where coating cracked. Coating in areas still fixed quite securly so difficult to remove without pulling off render. Is it best to start from scratch and re render or is there method to remove textured coat with removing render,patching and painting conventionally ?

What should the specification of works include if complete removal and re render?

Sponsored Links
if the render beneath the spray coating is cracked loose you would be best to remove it all to the brick and start from scratch.
depending how much of the rendering has failed it may be best to remove all the loose render only, pva the brick work and render level to existing.
remove as much of the coating as possible using a scutch hammer and score lines in the render with a grinder.
mix some pva glue with dry cement and water and give the whole building a coat of this slurry and let dry.
you can then apply a uniform scratchcoat to the whole building, ready for the finishing of your choice,
the cills, and pipework should clean up with a bit of time and effort.

Just a heads up on this one, you could fall foul of the building regs requirement under Part L on these type of works, I know its a pain in the ass but would advise to check it over with local authority in case it bites you. ;)

if the render beneath the spray coating is cracked loose you would be best to remove it all to the brick and start from scratch.
depending how much of the rendering has failed it may be best to remove all the loose render only, pva the brick work and render level to existing.
remove as much of the coating as possible using a scutch hammer and score lines in the render with a grinder.
mix some pva glue with dry cement and water and give the whole building a coat of this slurry and let dry.
you can then apply a uniform scratchcoat to the whole building, ready for the finishing of your choice,
the cills, and pipework should clean up with a bit of time and effort.

Alastair

Your advice is nearly perfect but PVA is not good enough.. SBR is far better.

I was taught to use PVA like that. but I have seen the light.

Try to wash SBR and cement off your hands at night. It wont come off.

Nick
Nick

Sponsored Links
Your advice is nearly perfect but PVA is not good enough.. SBR is far better.
cheers nick,
gotta try and keep up here! i've been using the polymers for the past couple of years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back