Rendering an uneven garden wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garden wall (dividing between mine and neighbours house) only about 6' sq - the render on the wall was old, patched up and blown so I took it all off. The wall is made from a variety of things some stone, some slate, some solid concrete etc meaning that it was very uneven with a difference of up to 1 1/2" in parts.

Anyway after brushing the wall down and giving it a coat of watered down PVA I applied a 4:1 scratch coat with a gauging trowel (too uneven to use a plasterers trowel) in order to fill the holes and level it out a bit I then scratched it before it dried. This was done a over four weeks ago and appears to have worked well it's not cracked or blown and is nice and solid but still quite uneven.

Now I'm not sure what to do next I'm not worried about getting a perfectly flat finish however I think it is still to uneven to attempt a final coat as some areas would be thicker than others (up to 15mm). What should I do?

Should I put on another coat on the low areas to try and level them up some more before attempting a top coat?
If so what should the mix be for the next 2 coats?
What is the min/max thickness for each coat.
If I do this how do I deal with the edges of each low area where it gets thin again? Am I right in trying to avoid it being to thick or to thin?

Please help I've enjoyed this project so far and don't want to cock it up now.

Sorry for the long post by the way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back