rendering concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got some concrete walls to render. if i mix pva through my scudding and then give the walls a heavy scudding before applying my scratch and finish coats, should this be enough to prevent the render from blowing? has anyone got some feedback on this topic?

Sponsored Links
If by concrete you mean smooth precast follow below. If concrete blocks there is no need except some pva to kill suction if you think it needed.

The best bonding agent is SBR. Cementone Feb and others make it. If you mix it with dry cement to a wet slurry and apply it liberaly with stiff brush........ then apply scratch coat. Coat with slurry still tacky. scratch to key as normal.

The same thing can be done with PVA. The cement in the bonding agent makes it twice as effective. Another way is to mix bonding agent(pva or sbr) with cement and some sand and cast a rough spatter coat with harling trowel........messy but a good job. Next day scratch coat and proceed as normal. Maybe that is the scudding you referred to. You could do this to block if you wanted for a belt and braces job.

Water in small measure can be added to any of above methods.

Corrie[/u]

I'm about to set about patch rendering (big areas) like this. I've done some before and was quite successful!

Only to make it more complicated, I want to match the stucco work which is an ashlar finish. (Large imitation block effect)

I have tried this using various tools and round sticks etc. but never sure how long I should let it dry out first.

Any advise from experienced trades persons very welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back