Rendering internally but which lime to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because I am fitting a woodburning stove onto the hearth in my 1930's semi it seems the only surefire way to ensure the chimney breast surface doesn't blow/ crack or fall off is to have it rendered with a sand/ cement and lime mix.

I assume 2 coats will be necessary and I need to add lime, but which one? Hydraulic, non-hydraulic, NHL2, 3.5, 5.....................help me I'm suffering from lime overload!

Sponsored Links
How disappointed am I?............all you whizzkid plasterer's and no-one answers me question!

So, for the sake of anyone else who wants to know the answer, here is what I believe it to be:

If you are using cement in the render, you must use HYDRATED lime.

For extra info, I was going to 2 coat render my chimney breast cos I'm putting in a woodburner stove n only render will stay stuck to the 1930's bricks unless you want to buy super expensive vitcast heatproof plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back