Rendering new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an extension and it runs the exact length of the existing house.As it is built from block and is to be rendered on the outside, should I set the the two end walls back from the existing brick so that the render finishes flush or should I run the block in line with the existing brickwork so that the render is proud.Also if set back by how much.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am building an extension and it runs the exact length of the existing house.As it is built from block and is to be rendered on the outside, should I set the the two end walls back from the existing brick so that the render finishes flush or should I run the block in line with the existing brickwork so that the render is proud.Also if set back by how much.Thanks.

It depends on how you want it to look. Personally I would set the new blockwork back so that the render finishes behind the bricks by at least 10mm. ( So if you can set back 30mm or so )This will give you a better finish as you won't have to be running the render into the existing bricks, which may be running in and out a bit (as brickwork does).

It will give a cleaner finish and a more defined line. It will make a feature of both brick and render .Also any hairline crack from shrinkage will be in a corner, less noticable. (If you wanted a mastic joint, this would be the place for it)

If you do the blockwork flush, the render will have an exposed edge as it will be proud (either bead or render ), which may not look the best and possibly give a weather problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back