Rendering on timber frame - drip advice???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i'm about to start a build of a first floor extension over exisiting brick ground flloor. The timber frame first floor construction is to be rendered and i'm just querying where the drip goes???

I'm putting 100x50mm sole plate onto external brick skin of ground floor and building 100x50mm off that, facing with 12mm exterior ply, then tyvec, battens and mesh... does the drip (and prob the mesh) come down past the sole plate and on to the top course of brick??? or does it only come as far down as the plate???

thanks in advance for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
Hi - i'm about to start a build of a first floor extension over exisiting brick ground flloor. The timber frame first floor construction is to be rendered and i'm just querying where the drip goes???

I'm putting 100x50mm sole plate onto external brick skin of ground floor and building 100x50mm off that, facing with 12mm exterior ply, then tyvec, battens and mesh... does the drip (and prob the mesh) come down past the sole plate and on to the top course of brick??? or does it only come as far down as the plate???

I would want to render down below the wall plate just to make sure although the render will probably dry quicker on the masonary background. Look at useing SBR and maybe enquire about 'ready mixed render this will take the head ache out gauging your mixes also cuts down on mess. Good luck

agree with steve, 6 inches or so below plate lvl for drip bead, steer clear of ready mix, the retarder is a pig, you end up with a crust and a soft background. just batch mix your render plus you can mix what you need. we all work differently mate but the drivers just pupm out at 22 regardless and if you are using a teleporter its like **** at the top and like screed at the bottom. your choice though ;)

Agreed then to bring the drip down well below the plate - got a mate doing the rendering so will give him the headache re working out the mix :)

thanks again

Sponsored Links

I may be wrong here so correct me if so. You are putting 100x50mm studding on top of 100x50mm brickwork. Ok so far so good, the stud will be flush with the brickwork. Then you are putting 12mm ply on to the stud then tyvec then 25mm battens then mesh 4mm approx. Ok so you have now got nearly 40mm past the brickwork line before you put any drips or render on. So how are you going to get the the mesh and drips below to go on the brickwork? I would make sure that the bottom batten which is level with your finished brickwork is doubled up (one on top of the other) and given another coat of wood preservative and I would put a strip of pvc underneath it and make sure the edge of your drip bead or stop bead comes down a little to cover the edge of the pvc strip. Also then you can bring the brickwork in with render to the underside of the pvc. I may have missed something here so enlighten me if I have ;)

I'm going to steal a bit off the plate to get the ply flush with the brickwork... but yes you're right the render and battens will be proud - i thought the drip bead would be enough to cover though???

thinking about this last night. :idea:

tack a piece of 2x2 all the way around the brickwork instead of a drip bead, that should stick out far enough for you to form a drip, on the top of the 2x2 put a length of sash cord/rope or similar.

Render the wall, forming a drip to the 2x2.

remove the 2x2 when render has gone off, pull cord and any water that back tracks under the drip will build up in the throating and keep it away from you face brick work.

Hope this makes sense?????

http://sharepoint.hulse.co.uk/nhbc/images/6.1.S4d.1.gif

not the right pic, but the idea is there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back