Rendering outsid around Patio doors and creating a lip above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Relatively small job I've got to do - fitted a new double patio door last year, involved cutting door frame out of the brick wall with a concrete lintel put in above etc. Pretty tight to the frame, any space was filled with some expanding foam then sealed from the outside with silicone, so now have an exposed small concrete lintel from the outside with a base scratch coat applied and slightly exposed red brick to the left and right of the door frame - the door is indented from the outside around 1.5 inches so not much room to play with.

I was wondering on the best way to finish this off to tidy it up? Theres not really enough space for a scratch coat at the sides I wouldn't think, as its rough cut red brick anyway, so can I just dampen this and put a top coat on here? Above there is a scratch coat on the lintel, so should be able to render a top coat on this, but wondered the best approach of getting and shaping a light lip above the door to match the others around the house. Seems to be a wooden batten approach held in place with a few pieces of wood from underneath and then render down to that I suppose? Wondered if anyone knew the best way to do this as its a small area to work with for rendering. Would Ideally of got someone in but such a small job no ones interested and the hardest part I think will be getting a nice angled lip at the top above the door to aid with water drainage.

Can you leave a small gap from the top of the lintel to the wooden batten (about .5 of a cm or something) and just squeeze in some render to do the underside of the frame, or would you do the lip first, remove the batten then do the underside?

Apologies if this has been posted before, I had a scout through the first 10 pages but couldn't find the specific info for creating the lip above the door...

Sponsored Links
Use weber OCR (one coat render) ring weber for your nearest stockists.
It's quite easy to work with compared to sand and cement, you can pack it out up to 25mm in one coat, don't need a scratch coat.
Timber baten underneath sound fine to use as form, ideally you should be looking for minimum of 10 mm underneath lintel, do it all in one go so its effectively one piece of render instead of two !
Good luck !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back