Rendering Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to render a soil retaining wall, but would i need to seal the wall first? if so, what with? and then, what render mix would be best? and then finally, any special type of paint?

View media item 10583
* Mod's please do not lock this thread on the grounds that its a duplicate thread as if you had left at least one of the original duplicate threads open I wouldnt have to repost.

Sponsored Links
I've looked and thought about this one a couple of times Darky. First of all, i would sort out wall itself,,,loose bricks, copes, caps etc, pick out the joints to give a better key. When it's ready, clean/wet the wall down, then scratch coat it with 4/1/1 sand /cement/lime, top coat 5/1/1 sand/cement/lime. Let the scratch coat dry out and cure before putting on the top coat,, why not scratch it one weekend,, top it the next. ;) Put a waterproofer/plasticiser in the mix for both coats,, using a mixer for best results,, or give it plenty of work if mixing with a shovel. On the grass/soil side, you could dig it back a little, clean the wall off,, re- point it if it needs it,,, and let it dry out. Then,,,, maybe stick a membrane on the back of the wall, or paint on 2 or 3 coats of a bitumin paint, or even use a piece of felt,,,, anything to act as a barrier, to prevent moisture/wet coming through the single brick wall from the soil/grass, and onto the render. As regard to the paint,, i suppose most weathershield paints would work. There's a few ideas there,,, maybe will others have some too.
Ohh,,,one more thing,, don't let it dry out too quick, especially if it's sunny,,, cover it over with hessian polythene,, anything, to keep the moisture in.

Roughcaster.

On the "Soil" side of the wall you could dig out a bit of a trench and fill it with shingle/pebbles. you could also put some pipes thru the wall for "weep- holes...about three feet apart...I would mesh the brick wall before rendering it too..

Sponsored Links
thanks for getting back to me. I plan to dig out the back of the wall to put another secondary wall behind the 1st to allow wider coping stones, therefore was thinking about putting some waterproofing seal (bitumin) on the wall, but maybe some shingle between the 2 walls for draining. I also plan to make good the wall and relay any loose bricks, and remove coping, etc

Then I will do as you mention, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back