Rendering - to mesh or not to mesh??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stone wall (blue lias) which is looking decidedly tatty and needs rendering.

I have had quotes which indicate differing opinions as to whether or not I need to apply a mesh over the stone before it is rendered.

If anyone has experience of rendering over this stone and would care to voice an opinion I be grateful to hear your views/experiences.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Certainly ;)

View media item 27075
The single storey on the left is blockwork with the original render removed and the original door blocked up with a new window above, this will be rendered with the stone wall.

Sponsored Links
I have a stone wall (blue lias) which is looking decidedly tatty and needs rendering.
is it just me? or does anyone else like the stones? if it was my house i would just render the blockwork to mach the other entrance

This was our original thought when I built the extension on the right.

But the stone is quite tatty - it was rendered and stripped before, and the previous render has left marks all over it which don't show up clearly in the picture.

We tried having the side sand blasted before I built the extension, but the stone is so soft with age that the sandblasting was tearing the surface badly, so we have been advised against it for the exposed front.

Here is a picture showing the front more clearly with the new extension which I built using solid wall (thermal block) and then had rendered.

View media item 27077
Before I stripped the old render off the extended part on the left, it was painted, and the small section of stone in the middle between 2 rendered sections made the house look very fragmented.

wouldn't bother with mesh m8,stipple coat rendaid maybe fibre mesh over the new blocks,dont look like anythings moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back