Renewable parts in lamps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few things about making the manufacturer of items which can't be repaired illegal. I have never been able to renew the filament in a bulb, and when the filament is replaced with LED's resistors, capacitors, rectifiers, or IC chips I have only once opened the bulb and repaired, I did not open to repair, I wanted to see how it worked, but the dry joint was so easy to spot I repaired.

But be it GX53, GU10, G9, BA22d, E27 or E14 when the bulb/lamp fails I renew it, even with a Zigbee bulb. If the unit does not use easy renew format, but a couple of screws holding it to wall and some wires, it does not really change the over view, when it fails one renews the whole unit.

I am sure a larger version of GX53 could be made, GX53-lamp-holder.jpg so wall lamps can be replaced without a tool, but if the is a ban on needing a tool or key, then also the basic bulkhead lamp would fall foul as need a screwdriver to remove the cover.

So in the future will I be able to dismantle the bulb and renew parts? Seems rather pointless, when it fails I just renew whole bulb.

Sponsored Links
Decent lamps last longer than any savings that would be made after producing this larger version of the GX53.

Decent lamps last longer than any savings that would be made after producing this larger version of the GX53.
Agreed, I think being a quick release coupling is no longer required, but I see no difference between quick release and hard wired in the regulations, so be it a plug in device or hard wired it seems we must be able to renew parts, just seems daft, never fitted new filament in a tungsten bulb so why be able to fit new LED's to an LED bulb?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back