Renewing pebble dash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have employed a building contractor for a lot of work, including renewing the pebble dash on the front and side of the house.

A lot of it has cracked and blown and when chatting about it he said best to remove and replace. We agreed as don't want the house having huge patches.

The roughcaster has just been out with samples and said he'd hack off the blown bits and then patch and then another top layer to make the walls all the same. He said removing the bits that are still ok would damage the mortar.

I'm not sure if I should go with his suggestion or our contractor. I can see the benefit of not disturbing the stuff that's ok but not sure if he's looking to save time.

Would the extra weight not make the old render more likely to come off in the future?

Any help or advice is gratefully received!

Thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
I can see the builder's point and would agree that patching roughcast looks terrible. It is far better to remove any loose/hollow material, flush off/ fill out the patches, then prep/re-roughcast the whole wall. The ultimate of course is to remove everything, prep, scratch then re- roughcast.
I've re-roughcasted onto old roughcast a lot of times and never had a problem. As long as all the blown/loose areas are removed, and the rest given a good look over, it should be fine. He's right to say about causing damage, because sometimes, you can damage brickwork/blockwork trying to remove render, roughcast etc that's well bonded to the wall. If the old surface is solid, another coat on top of it wont make any difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back