Renewing sealant round interior of window casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to freshen up the paintwork on the interior of my windows. I want to cut out the old sealant and replace it then repaint the wood. Would decorators caulk be ok to use as i'd guess silicone would not be good for painting over?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
alnmcn said:
Is caulk no good then?

It's what a lot of people would use. I suppose it depends on whether or not you believe material science has made any advances in the last hundred years, or whether you reckon a chipped flint is still the best way of carving meat.

alnmcn said:
Is caulk no good then?

Boats are still caulked with linseed oil putty. Despite the sarcasm from the "modernists", "modern" alkyd paints don't protect wood as well as linseed paints do, and now the safety lobby has got in on it, none of the paints which you can buy without a licence has lead in which would stop things attacking the wood as well as make the paint stick well. If you think a change is necessarily an improvement, why are so many modern things ripped out and replaced with something different only to find there's more problems?

A really good thing is draught proofing. Often this means very little ventilation. Little ventilation means fewer air changes, more dust, and SURPRISE, more asthma sufferers (or other respiratory complaints).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back