Renewing soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a cast iron soil stack that i want to change to plastic. I am putting a downstairs toilet in and moving upstairs wc so want to run all new so can disconnect at upstairs wc and dismantle going downwards. At what distance above floor level do i cut cast iron pipe and what type of fitting do i use to connect cast iron to plastic?

Thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
You could, drill around the joints, say 1/4inch holes and heat and let the lead run out.
Its easy to do, take your time and if poss use two blow lamps.
Now smash off the lugs off the first section and lift out.
Do this until you are lower then the first new loo and then fit into old cast iron pipe your new soil pipe.

Ensure your safety as the old pipe is heavy.

Hi 75pete,
Thanks for reply. Do you mean drill all joints to dismantle in sections?
Not at property now but is it likely there will be a joint near floor level or will i have to grind pipe and use connector, if so, what connector should i use to join the cast to plastic?

Thanks,

Gary.

Start at the top joint, drill a few holes at joint, heat and run off lead.

Smash the two wall lugs and lift out section.

Have a look at say Screwfix for connectors if you have to cut pipe and not use old cast iron joint to fix new pipe into.

Work Safe...its heavy

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for that Pete. Just one final question! To get round the eaves, is it ok to use 2 x 135deg socket/spigots as i noticed that some diagrams i have seen state the use of 1 x 112deg top and 1 x 112deg bottom?? Does that make sense to you!!

Cheers,

Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back