renovating old farm house, insulating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi not long from now we are going to be making a start on renovating an old farm house, the house has thick stone walls with no insulation. i am looking to put stud walls with celotex or something cheaper in the frame then put plasterboards over the top then get them skimmed. first question is how thick insulation should i use? i was thinking 2" so i could leave a little air gap against the wall, the second question is do i need foil backed plasterboards incase of any damp issues?

the other problem i'm going to have is the floors, they are solid with no insulation so are always cold, i was thinking of putting down dpc then insulating, ufh, screed and the finished floor. doing this is obviously going to raise the height of the floor which isn't really a problem height wise as long as its not too thick so would 2" of insulation with ufh clipped into that then 1" of screed and then finished floor be enough to get insulation benefits?

long winded i know but not quite sure

cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back