Reopening a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Looking for a bit of advice on reoppening a chimney.

The chimney is still there but has been capped off at the top and a new pitched roof put over the top of it, and the main joist goes right over the top of where the chimney wants to come out.

My plan is to remove the old brick work far enough down and crank the metal flue out of the top of the chimney at 45 degrees and take it about 500mm off to one side of the main joist, then out through flashing to a twin wall flue.

I did wonder about using flexible chimney liner to get the desired curve but suspect this would be a fire hazard outside of an actual chimney?

The second problem is in the fireplace itself, which is corbelled above where the stove will be, with a clay liner above. Is it possible to get a good seal with a register plate on corbelling or would I have to use flexible liner all the way up the existing chimney?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
could be you mean the ridge, or perhaps a rafter, is obstructin above the remains of the chimney stack - joists run on the loft floor and rafters an ridge shape the roof.
best to post pics of the outside of the roof and inside the loft - an pics of the chimney breast an fireplace an up the flue.

you willeventually have to get a HETAS in to give advice an maaybe do the job eg. the present liner should be ditched an a new liner used in whatever arrangements you finally have.
thers lots of Regs ref safety coverin what you propose.

Sorry yes, I meant the ridge of the roof is over the remains of the chimney, so I was planning to crank it out between the rafters.

There's no liner in there at the moment, just the original clay flue.

Pics to follow after more coffee.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry for my late response. Got called away to other things.

Here's the chimney from the attic:

20181104_171843.jpg
20181104_165417.jpg

I'm assured that the remaining chimney is not supporting the roof so the plan is to clear enough brick to get an angle piece on top and out through the roof.

The property is actually 2 semis joined into one house so I own both sides of the breeze block wall and plan to reopen the chimneys in each house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back