Repainting a timber garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all have been tasked to repainting a relatives shed door which has basically been layered up with sadolin over the years and is now peeling fro the top

I want to do a really good job so after removing the flaking stuff with a scraper should I then sand it all back down to the wood and give two coats?

If so im assuing I use wet and dry paper?

Are there any better versions of sadolin etc

Sponsored Links
Sterate coated silicon carbide would be better. Wet n dry works best when wet but the water will result in grain swell.

You might want to start with 80 grit aluminium oxide first (to remove the bulk) and then varying grades of silicon carbide later (sanding in the direction of the grain).

Can you not burn off- much faster than sanding if there are many layers

Overall sadolin is good stuff

Thanks mate

Yeah I suppose I could but a not experienced doing it!

Sponsored Links
If you go for the "burn off" use an electric heat gun rather than anything with a naked flame to reduce the risk of scorching the wood.

You will probably find that any scrapers become gummed up, I use sanders to sand them back and keep them clean. If you find that you are digging in then you have not heated the varnish sufficiently.

If you decide on the sand only option then take the door off and put it on trestles etc. Ergonomically it will make life much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back