Repainting exterior brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello this wall faces the prevailing weather conditions and has always been a problem to me .I last painted it with Sandtex two years ago and the paint is already showing signs of peeling. Anyway I have spent a day trying to remove as much loose paint and not so loose paint ( in fact it took quite a bit of scraping ) as possible with mixed results. I used a pressure washer and scrapers with one section and got most of the paint off but it was slow and laborious so then I proceeded with the next section only removing the worst of it off and then thought of applying Zinsser Peel Stop across the whole area or some other primer that binds seals and provides a good backing for some Weathershield. I wonder if anyone can advise me please IMG_0104 (1).jpeg IMG_0103 (1).jpeg IMG_0101 (1).jpeg ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The primer is a glue. You can use this on top of exiting paint. This means you can selectively only repair the area that has failed. This would turn a huge job into an easy piecey one. At a regular distance, it's generally not possible to discern the areas with more or less layers of paint.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The primer is a glue. You can use this on top of exiting paint. This means you can selectively only repair the area that has failed. This would turn a huge job into an easy piecey one. At a regular distance, it's generally not possible to discern the areas with more or less layers of paint.
The weather set to change .If I apply it today presumably I can wait until the weather gets better before applying Weathersheild on it ?

Water based primer dries quickly. I presume your topcoat is also water based. You could do both before the rain starts. I am no pro, and can't tell you what is the effect of the rain on the uncoated primer. Usually, the primer is water proof once cured.

Hello this wall faces the prevailing weather conditions and has always been a problem to me .I last painted it with Sandtex two years ago and the paint is already showing signs of peeling. Anyway I have spent a day trying to remove as much loose paint and not so loose paint ( in fact it took quite a bit of scraping ) as possible with mixed results. I used a pressure washer and scrapers with one section and got most of the paint off but it was slow and laborious so then I proceeded with the next section only removing the worst of it off and then thought of applying Zinsser Peel Stop across the whole area or some other primer that binds seals and provides a good backing for some Weathershield. I wonder if anyone can advise me pleaseView attachment 205079 View attachment 205080 View attachment 205081 ? Thanks

I have two columns of rustic brick either side of the front door, the bottom two of each side were failing and crumbling due to weathering. They face the westerly winds and weather. I decided to repair the more serious damage at the bottom with cement, worked to match the rustic face, then once dry painted both columns top to bottom with Sandtex paint. That was some five years ago, it still looks just as it did when I first did it.

The can of Sandtex was originally bought to paint rough concrete gate posts, many years ago. Those also had no issue with peeling Sandtex, though the entire posts were taken out ten years ago when I had new gates and posts fitted.

I suspect it has remained well stuck, because of the rough surface of the bricks and the concrete. I suspect your peeling is because your bricks are smooth faced ones, so the Sandtex has little adhesion to the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back