Repainting front door - to strip or not?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to repaint our solid wooden front door - is there any merit in stripping the door back to bare wood prior to repainting?

I would like to get a nice crisp finish and plan to move the letterbox so there will be some filling necessary - had heard that car filler will give a noce, seamless fill - is this true?

Is there any real merit in stripping the door back to bare wood or will I get just as good a finish with sanding to give a key then repainting?

Any professional opinions? Would like to hear some before I go off and buy a heat gun!!

Sponsored Links
Have you done stripping off before?
I've done this and it is a lot of (messy) work.
I would think twice unless the old paint is really too far gone.
Even after stripping there is still a fair bit of rubbing down to do if you want a good finish.
G.

have stripped skirtng boards and internal door previosuly - hell of a lot of work - hence the question

current paint job in solid but I want a good finish so dont mind spending the time if it will make a difference.

main thing is ifI am moving the letter box position will it give a better finish when filling the old letter box position :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back