Repair AAV / Loft Condensation issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter lives in a 9 year old "starter" home. She has a LOT of condensation on loft, and insist that she never used to, and last winter just a little, formed on plastic bags containing baby stuff which we had to get down for Child 2.

I had a look today, and made sure soffit vents were clear.

Given that this seems to be an escalating issue, I was trying to find something that has changed. The only thing I can think of is that there are 2 AAV's terminating in the loft. It is, I assume, possible that they are passing gas, although there are no offensive smells

One is a bit awkward to access and I had no silicon grease with me. So, a couple of questions:

Does the absence of smells guarantee that the condensation is not related t the AAV's?
Are ALL AAV's serviceable?
Could a leaky AAV cause the condensation?
If I repair or replace the AAV's, will the already formed condensation clear? - the roof timbers are actually damp in areas

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Does she have an extractor(s), typically, increased moisture in a roof space like that is a bathroom extractor leaking moist bathroom air into the cold space.

Yes AAVs can stick open and some can be serviceable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back