Repair and strengthening of timber subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've been looking at my existing timber subfloor all day long, spent countless hours researching on the web, but still it's not clear. There seems some very knowledgable people on this forum, so would really appreciate some advice. Here is my situation.

Ultimately I want to replace the floorboards in my kitchen with tiles. Due to deflection etc I was going to strengthen the existing 2x4 joists by sistering with additional 2x4s, Then lay ≥18mm wbp ply. (Replacing floorboards).

The current construction is as follows. 2x4 joists on top of 4x2 sole plate (2x4 on its side). Sole plate is then on sleeper pillars/columns which are 400cm apart.

Joists are at different heights in some places because walls have been removed between rooms, and there has been some settlement causing some parts of the floor to be lower than other parts.

I think I need to jack up the joists and replace the mortar between sole plate and sleeper column. With dpm between brick and mortar.
I was originally planning slate packing, but the mortar is really crumbling. .
Finally, I need to strengthen the sole plate because it is 1.5" thick, and supported every 400cm . I've no idea how I can do this.

If somebody cold let me know if what i am planning is a good idea? I have attached a photo.
Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back