Repair external walla

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have a 1900 London terrace which has been neglected for a number years and suffering damp. The timber window frames have wood rot and render has blown from the walls. Before I embark on this journey I just wanted to check a few points:
1) my plan is to repair the frames then walls and then paint. Does this sound like a good method?

2) because in the UK we are not blessed with months without rain I'm guessing I will need to waterproof the walls whilst repairing the render and waiting for it to cure. True or false?

3) I have no idea if lime or cement render was used previously, does off matter what I use to repair the patches?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Sponsored Links
Hi there

1) my plan is to repair the frames then walls and then paint. Does this sound like a good method?
Not until you have resolved the damp issue and repaired the wall.
2) because in the UK we are not blessed with months without rain I'm guessing I will need to waterproof the walls whilst repairing the render and waiting for it to cure. True or false?
If you mean by waterproof? resolve the damp issues. True! if you don't want the problem to reoccur.
3) I have no idea if lime or cement render was used previously, does off matter what I use to repair the patches?
Is this the internal or external render?

Hi

Let me clarify my babble.
All works are external at the moment. Once window frames and render are repaired hopefully I will have no more damp problems.

When I say waterproof I mean to create a tent over the window bay to prevent rain getting to the untreated render.

Thanks,
Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back