Repair hole in cast iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This was an unexpected joy, fitted new sink waste, simple enough. Sink had been out of action for couple weeks due to other jobs. Ground floor flat. The sink waste goes to a iron pipe into a cast iron stack.

First test, bucket load of water from behind cupboard.

There is a hole just at the point of where it goes into the stack. It is all very corroded.

Undoing anything is impossible so I'm looking at options to repair. A product such as JB Weld springs to mind.

If I attempt to remove the pipe from the stretch I'll have a really big hole and nothing to attach to. It is very corroded.

What are my options?

Pg

Sponsored Links
One option would be to wrap a resin-impreganted glass-fibre bandage around the pipes and let it cure to form effectively a new pipe section around the old ones. There are probably better options though.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I didn't take any but will. I think I described it well though, cast iron sink waste into cast iron stack, waste has corrosion/hole and leaking.
I've used a product called fertan on cars, it's a rust inhibitor that neutralises rust so you can then wire brush it.
Looking around the net there's several bonding products that I think will do the job. It depends what my local plumb center or Screwfix have in stock.

I'll post results and pics in few days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back