Repair large double glazed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

First post on here, apologies if this has been asked before.

I have a set of bi-fold doors and one of the double glazed units is starting to fail. (Slight misting early in the day). It’s a large unit, approx. 700mm x 2000mm, and has an integrated blind. Can anybody advise if it can be repaired? I’m wondering if it can maybe be removed and taken somewhere to be resealed.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

J41

Sponsored Links
You can buy a new one. Sealed glazing units are not as expensive as you might think, and are easy for an experienced person to fit.

I had some replaced in a glazed foyer, I think they were a couple of hundred each. It's no bigger than a typical patio door.

Try to get a personal recommendation for your local plastic-window repairman (there will be one) who must visit and measure precisely before ordering the glass.

A listing on an advertising website, where traders pay to appear, is not a personal recommendation, even if it pretends to be.

Potentially , yes it can be ' stripped and resealed ' . We have done this in the past , but it is key that no damage happens to the blind mechanism and the the ' spacer bar ' is perfectly straight. You will need to find a Double Glazed Sealed Unit manufacturer who is prepared to take it on , I suspect it will be a small independant , who still manufactures manually , rather than a big automated line, as most big manufacturers are now. JohnD says a couple of hundred for a new unit , with an integral blind I suspect you will pay more than that , hence why we ' stripped and resealed ' the one we did.

The key is how old is the unit as Johnny says , it may well still be under its warranty

Sponsored Links
Bang on Ronnie, it’s happy days if the glass unit is still under warranty. If not it’s down the road of the independent manufacturer I’m afraid. Or can you go back to who supplied and fitted the doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back