Repairing a bitumen felted flat roof (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1114.jpeg
I have a flat roof on an extension (9m x 2.5m) at the side of the house. It is plywood (type unknown) on timber joists covered with from what I can determine to be a single layer of roofing felt. It is turned up and under the house wall rendering to form a flashing on one side and over a triangular fillet and down the fascia board the other side. It was then covered with grit. There is no fall on the roof meaning rainwater needs to run up to 9m across a level surface to the gutter at one end.
Water has been dripping in somewhere intermittently when the wind is in a certain direction during heavy rain. I assumed that it was running down the house wall and into an obvious crack at the top of the flashing (shown in photo near the shovel), but after noticing ponding of water after a period of heavy rain I decided to inspect the roof with the intention of repairing it.
Having removed the loose grit I have found that the roofing felt has patchy areas where the grit has become embedded and impossible to remove, and other areas where I believe I can see the plywood through the felt.
Now I am going to be advised that I need a complete new roof covering, but I can't do it myself especially the flashing, and paying someone to do it is going to be expensive (I guess £1000-1500), it is not my house and I am doing this as a favour at my expense.
I intend to add a layer of self adhesive roof capping felt over the existing, turned up and sealed to the existing flashings each side. The areas of embedded grit will first be covered with 'Bostik' trowel on bituminous mastic to form a smooth surface for the new roofing felt. I then intend to seal all the existing flashings and then paint with paint on mastic roof sealant. Cosst approx. £400.
I have the following questions: 1) will the 'Bostik' trowel on bituminous mastic work to create a smooth surface and will the capping sheet stick to it after it has dried and hardened? 2) Will I then need a primer coat? 3) Should I also apply a coat of sun reflective Acrylic roof paint?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back