Repairing a wooden door damaged by a coat hook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice on repairing a coat hook on a wooden door. I live in a rented property and we'll be moving out soon and so the time has come to fix a few things before a final inspection and the return of our deposit.

So we have this coat hook which has held a few jackets. At some point it became overloaded and the hook was pulled off the door. It left behind the screw holes as well as some fairly large splinters (~1-2 cm) sticking out. Our temporary fix was to screw the hook back into the door but it doesn't hold well, no surprises there, and safe to say we don't use the hook any more.

My question: What's the best and strongest way to reattach the hook to the door. Should we buy a wood filler, patch the hole up and reattach the hook whilst it dries out? Ideally we would like the hook to remain in the same place.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture, if its behind the door will it be noticed. Could you not reposition the hook.

I'll post a picture tonight when I get back home from work. Due to the style of the hook I'm not sure if there is enough space to reposition the hook and still have it cover the existing screw holes.

Sponsored Links
Is it a hollow door? If not just pack hole with a couple of matchsticks and refit.

Thanks for all your responses. I took some photos of the door this morning and it doesn't look as bad as I remembered. There isn't a 1-2 cm splinter that I mentioned in the original post.

The wood that the door is made from seems cheap, it's definitely not solid. I'm not sure if it is a hollow door. The coat hook in the first image is screwed in all the way but the hook is still loose and rattles.

We live in a flat and this is the entrance door.

2015_01_23_10_46_00.jpg
2015_01_23_10_47_55.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back