Why sometimes it is better to get new...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorting out my understairs cloakroom.
I had two rails with 8 of the cheap 'aluminum' hooks spread out and attached to 2 white painted pieces of wood.

I decide change the height of the rails to add another rail of hooks (low for small child to hang her own coat up) and to add more hooks along each piece of wood. Decided to reuse the hooks I had, so bought to match some of the cheap aluminuinm style hooks - looks not that important in a cupboard... :rolleyes: )

So got new wood and struggled to cut them to funny and varied angles (found box in under stairs is a bit mad) , paint them, fix them up, then spend ages working out the best distance apart for the hooks mixing the old ones in with the new to blend (I thought) etc.

Get it all fixed up - proud of myself - perfect! then realise the old hooks have (yellowed) white paint smudged on them ...it is all I can see when I look at them - spoiling my good job...

Decide to take them off the rails and paint strip them - only modern paint stripper is 'carp' (see my rant elsewhere on diynot) - so then decide a light sanding would work...except that strips off the aluminum coating and it looks terrrible... so then try and even it up (worse I don't do this on one of them but all 8 ) now they look really bad...and it takes a lot of time ....should have left them alone!

Decide to give up and buy new ones ... only cost a few quid...job done...
Except on the new ones the fixing holes are in a slightly different place... too close to keep the hook in same place - need to move it across a bit but then have holes to fill and (cos the hooks are as close together as possible) two hooks become almost unusable - if I leave them out there was no point increasing the number of hooks ... I could fill the holes and hope the filler holds when I partially screw into it ...or I can replace the wood again and mess about cutting it up and painting it again...

Not sure what to do ....it is only in a cupboard after all.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Don't use filler; use pieces of real wood glued in. I find that matchsticks are perfect for this. Trim the end to a crude point, dip it in glue, push it into the hole and snap it off just above the surface. Keep adding more bits until no more will fit then, when the glue's dry, carefully slice the ends flush with a chisel. Screws will take just fine as long as you drill pilot holes. Job done! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Should have read this earlier -that would have been worth trying ...as it is
Bit the bullet, got my dremel out polished up the old ones - very messy and took all afternoon/early evening (about 30 mins per hook)but they look ok now -almost better than the new ones.. covered them in autosol polish and then heavy duty car wax (I use for protecting my 1970s formica table) - hopefully they won't mark anything/tarnish too badly...

Just not going to think about time it has taken vs cost of new hooks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back