Make 3x2 prettier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Sick of spending money on free standing coat racks that the Boss puts every coat in the street on until it snaps I had an idea. I had 2 pieces of 5ft 3x2 lying around and have purchased some coat hooks from ebay and was planning on screwing them both to a brick wall after staining them.
The Boss doesnt like the look of them as She says "it looks like coat hooks nailed onto a piece of wood". Essentially She is correct as that is all it is but is there any way I can make the pieces of wood easier on the eye?
I was thinking of planing the front edges off and then sanding until smooth but if you know of any better ways please let me know.

I apologise in advance as I am not very good at DIY.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A piece of planed 4x1 or 3x1 would be /look better. Chamfer the front edges, lick of paint/stain, jobs a good 'un.

Steve

3x2??
not being funny but if this isn't a windup it should be :D

bit off 12mm ply and shape it diamond/circle/oval random shape and paint a picture or fix a picture on a painted background and cover with varnish and place the hooks random/in a patern/round the edge

the picture can be a 5 year olds school offering for example

Sponsored Links
Yes, not being rude but it will look like a row of coat hooks. and with the coats on it - will look like a row of coats.............um! what would you like it to look like?

Check out this coat rack, it doesn't look at all like a bit or wood with some hooks in it! :LOL:

IMG_2572.jpg

3x2??
not being funny but if this isn't a windup it should be :D
Sorry, no wind up. I wanted to achieve something similar to FreddyMercurysTwin picture above but that wont be heavy duty enough for my family. Had thought of a piece of 3/4 inch ply but that would mean I could only use half inch screws on the hooks. My Boss would have them ripped off the ply with one lash of her tongue or even one of 'her stares'.

I have got the wood all marked out, holes partly done with a bradall, inch and a half screws for the hooks, four inch screws to go into the wood and brick wall. Do you guys still think its a no-go? Here is a pic. Obviously I will sand the wood down before I stain it but wanted to tart it up a bit first. Just need to know how to tart it up :)
Thanks.

Check out this coat rack, it doesn't look at all like a bit or wood with some hooks in it! :LOL:

IMG_2572.jpg

As panto season is upon us,,,,,,,,, "Oh yes it does." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dooahhdoo,,, Ordinary studwork cls timber doesn't plane, or sand very easily. You'd be better going to the timber merchants and buying some 75mm x 50mm PAR. That way you can be sure, your going to get a piece that will look nice when sanded etc.

[/quote]
My Boss would have them ripped off the ply with one lash of her tongue or even one of 'her stares'.

[/quote]

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :mrgreen: :LOL: :mrgreen:

I think I know the "stare" you're talking about............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back