Varnishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a dirty old pine trunk cleaned off the paint, varnish, coal dust and dirt with bleach, then vinegar then sugar soap. Loads of each. Finished with vinegar and clean water.

As soon as I touched the wood with the varnish it dried within seconds leaving no wet edge to brush into. It dried immediately , almost a I was touching the wood leaving blotches and streaks where the varnish overlaps or set as it touched the wood. I thinned it with water and more water until it soaked into the wood but it now looks lke a coat of dirty water rather than varnish.
Should I clean off the blotched varnish with Nitromor and then coat the whole trunk with this varish/water solution a couple of times before trying to varnish in the normal way or will that make no difference and is there a better way ?
I tried the same varnish on the relatively clean but untreated bottom of the truck and is flows in the normal way. What have I done wrong and what can I do to be able to use the varnish in the normal smooth flowing way . Thanks for your help and time

Sponsored Links
Wipe on Danish oil to seal, then if you wish you can varnish.

Thanks . How long should I wait after applying before varnshing with a water based varnish ?

Is there a colourless Danish Oil available or should I look for a colour match to the varnsh ?

Lastly do I need to sand it before applying the varnish ?

Thanks again

As soon as I touched the wood with the varnish it dried within seconds leaving no wet edge to brush into. It dried immediately , almost a I was touching the wood leaving blotches and streaks where the varnish overlaps or set as it touched the wood.
Water-based varnish will do this, it's rubbish. I always use solvent-based varnishes. They have a better finish and a longer working time.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks.Y ou confirmed what I thought. I have rarely used water based varnish on big jobs without this problem. I am now going to use Colron Danish Oil, antique pine, instead. Seems like less trouble, easier to use and a better finish.

Thanks for the advice

I am trying to match this colour on a similar pine trunk to this image in my album I have cleaned up and want to stain or preferable use Danish oil but nothing seems to match Antique Pine is too light and Canadian Cedar seems too red but prefereable to the weak looking pine colour. Maybe several coats of the antique pine Danish oil would darken it to this. I have no idea.

Thanks for any help

You could try a mixture of white spirit, boiled linseed oil, turps and meths and then wax it. Do a patch first as it can change the colour badly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back