how to clean and varnish a sealed interior wood floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have paid a builder to sand and seal my interior oak wood floor. However, one walk on it and it’s dirty already (dusty) and that smudges when I try to wipe clean. I understand I should not use water to clean. How should i clean it And i would like to add a top coat of varnish so it is easier to clean In the future. What type of varnish should i Use, and how many coats? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don’t know. It looks Matt and he only added 1 coat. So I would guess some kind of undercoat

Sponsored Links
No........

It’s for a property in France. I paid a builder 50 Euros per square meter to lay the floor. But he did not specify that it would not be finished. Gullible that I am!

So I then got quotes from several other builders to sand and seal, to protect the wood ASAP. The quote I accepted did not specify number of coats of product. When finished it looked good. but after walking on it just once it was dusty and smudged when I tried to wipe clean.

Btu then, I only asked him to sand and seal it - nothing more!

So I want to learn how to clean it, in preparation for a top coat; then add a top coat myself; and then how to clean it from then on. For example, can I use a POLYURETHANE based varnish (if appropriate) and how many layers, Or something else......

Any advice would be great?

I would not varnish oak, Osmo suggested will be fine , data sheet should provide the info you need to get a good result .

I really can't see how you can work out what to put on it until you know what's on it already - so isn't your next step to ask the builder who sealed it what they sealed it with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back