coloured floor varnish light oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya
I am using B&Q light oak floor varnish on my new floor boards (which still squeek and crackle a bit alas!) - can I go on and use this varnish on the doors as well, or should I get a different varnish for the doors- and like what varnish should I get instead ?
thanks for any tips.

Sponsored Links
what are your floor fixings
I started using nails but was advised on the Forum to use screws - to be honest, screws were so hard to put it and took me so long, I went back to the nails just to finish the job !! :oops: the boards I used screws on don't seem to be much better really and have split worse than the nailed ones (I am a total amateur to floorboard laying as is probably obvious) it looks really really nice just noisy and the varnish is a lovely colour so that's why I wanted to use it on the doors ....

Sponsored Links
what type, length: nails and screws did you use and what are the floor boards and joists made of

what type, length: nails and screws did you use and what are the floor boards and joists made of
ordinary thick wood joists about 14" to 16" apart (varies) the floor boards are wood (B&Q) 18mm thick and about 5" wide - - and I used 2 1/2" nails - and with the screws I used 2" because the longer screws seemed to be getting rather thick (maybe that was a mistake?) and I found drilling the holes a real problem as well :( . the varnish makes them looks very nice.

I used an ordinary drill for the holes then I used another drill bit that made the hole big at the top. I used a manual screwdriver and the screws just kind of went down into the floorboard. But it took ages and ages to do all that, so I gave up after a few floorboards and went back to hammer and nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back