Wood treatment for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The exterior of my shed has a number of different materials.
The corner posts are green treated fence posts
The cladding is green treated feather edge
I have untreated T&G for the doors and untreated smooth planed whitewood for the roof and door trims.

I've used Ronseal fence paint before and been happy with it on the rough surface treated stuff, but having tried to coat my roof trim with it, I don't think the result is very good after the required 3 coats - it's kind of halfway between properly painted and stained which doesn't look too good imo.

So what's a better way of doing this other than using fence paint? I've also got some deck oil, but not sure how well that will work on the smooth wood?

Note - I've got some SIKA wood preserver which I've treated the untreated wood with, but it doesn't "finish" the wood.

Sponsored Links
Have used decking oil, either coloured or have also added wood dye to suit.

I find better results from using a wood dye first to get the colour and grain appearance, then a protective oil or wax coating (untinted).

It is probably too late to dye yours if the timber is no longer bare.

colour treatments don't soak in well on smooth planed wood unless you let it weather and roughen first.

Sponsored Links
So far I only treated the roof lining panels and painted them - trying to sand off the paint, but if these end up a little different it's no big deal.
The door frame/architrave and the doors themselves are currently uncut and untreated so I have mostly a clean slate.

I'm finding the number of different types of treatment, all seemingly professing to do similar things, VERY confusing. In the past I've either worked with things like doors and windows where I undercoated and then exterior gloss, or I've been doing up old shed where fence paint worked fine.

So anyway the SIKA wood preserver I've been using - was that a wasted purchase, or should I apply that, THEN a dye, then an oil?

for a dye - like this or this?

But then what? Something like this?

No reason I can't use different stuff on the smooth and rough timbers of course - it's more economical to use the same, but having spent many days and quite a lot of money on building the shed, I'm not going to penny pinch at the final stage.
So I could use the barrentine I linked to above for the featheredge and the posts, and focus here on what to treat the smooth, untreated timber with.

The first link is wood stain not dye. You could use the water based dye but has to be done before the top coat for which I would use decking oil, though you could buy coloured decking oil which does both jobs at once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back