Repairing bubbled emulsion - which filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening,
I'm just starting out doing up an old Victorian semi - Walls were skimmed 4 months ago, left to dry 6 weeks then mist coat of contract matt with 20-30% water applied by roller after some filling/sanding where required. Went on terribly - some areas it barely soaked in at all and needed lots of sanding, mixture adjustments and repainting to finally get to a flat consistent finish but it never bubbled at all. I suspect there is something not right with the skim coat. This week I finally applied my first coat of farrow and ball estate emulsion to the wall.

To my horror the last section I did had 3 largish bubbles appear which peeled off to reveal the plaster beneath them (so took the mist coat too). photos of the smallest area attached. I spoke to the decorators I got the paint from who suggested sanding, applying Zinsser gardz then repainting in layers. I couldn't feather the edges of the bubble back as it kept just peeling the farrow and ball off the wall leaving the mist coat so in a fit of annoyance I painted it again - it looks awful. The farrow and ball is really hard to sand back and the edges of the "bubble" are clearly visible - Think I need to fill them then repaint but not sure what I should fill them with. any advice on sanding/filling/fixing greatly appreciated. photo of the terrible paint job that I haven't even attempted to sand back also attached!
20190201_073138485_iOS.jpg
20190203_201007686_iOS.jpg

Sponsored Links
probably should clarify - I applied the Gardz as they suggested minus the sanding back of edges, left it the 3 hours then painted over it as the decorating shop that sold it to me advised, no more bubbles but I can't hide the edges of the original area thus me thinking I need to fill it or something as well

Try a ready mixed fine surface filler. As Gardz has been applied, there shouldn't be any need to mist coat bare plaster spots before filling. Once dry, sand the filler lightly with a very fine grit sandpaper to help feather the edges. Too harsh of a grit will cause the surrounding paint to scratch away, and may even take the filler off. It's a delicate balance to get it right, but if you take your time, it can be done so well that you should have an invisible repair.

Sponsored Links
Thank you misterhelpful - will give it a try and see how my amateur skills go at an invisible repair!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back