Bubbling paint where new plaster meets old painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We had pieces of slate surrounding an old fireplace. The slate was stuck on with silicone. The slate was removed and the area skimmed over with plaster. Once the plaster was dry this was sealed with a mist coat (watered down matt emulsion). I have then applied a silk emulsion and air bubbles have appeared where the new plaster meets the old emulsioned wall.

I have tried sanding it down and painting again, but the bubbles keep reappearing.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I've been researching and come across this product - BIN Primer Sealer. If I sand the part where the new plaster meets the 'old' part of the wall and then used this BIN primer sealer and then emulsion over this - does anyone think this will do the trick?

I'm pulling my hair out with this problem. Well, whatever is left of it.

Thanks in advance.

Is the reaction between the two paints or the paint and the plaster (unlikely?)

Not much you can do here either use a compatible paint or put some sort of barrier between the two. A decent primer is probably the way to go. But no idea on specific products.

Have used CROWN multi purpose primer and undercoat and found it good, but no recommendations for your specific problem.

Good luck.

Kev

Sponsored Links
Could be a moisture problem because 1. the new plaster isn't dry or drying is being retarded 2. Being a chimney breast its damp through failing flashing or needs re-pointing etc.

If your sure though that it is dry, try a coat of zinsser gardz over the whole area.

Also i'm guessing that as it was re-plastered there is no trace left of the silicone as this can be very problematic with paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back