painting fresh plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got to "mist coat" a freshly plastered wall..
been recomended that I thin down some emulsion, 3 paint to 1 water.
can I just use any cheap emulsion, and would silk or matt be better?

Sponsored Links
"Own brand" matt (not silk) white @ 25% is fine for fresh plaster but give that skim & those new boards 10-14 days to dry out first :LOL: Give it at least 2 coats in quick sucession & let dry overnight before finishing. ;)

I wanted to get the walls painted before I did the floor... any splashes would come up with the dust and old lino.. guess I'll have to put the plastic sheeting down now..

Best to let it dry out first ;) . I tend to brush as I’ve tried cheapo & expensive rollers with little apparent difference; I don’t really like them as every one I’ve ever tried splashes everywhere & the wall surface starts to look like Artex after a few coats :evil: ; but I expect the decorators will now put me to rights :LOL: . Dust sheets or a couple of old duvet covers are better than plastic which tends to move about & the paint flakes off & goes everywhere once it’s dry.

Sponsored Links
Dulux trade matt (non vinyl) -10 litres for £5 @ boot sale :LOL: Sieved the bits out through the Mrs. tights

Dulux trade matt (non vinyl) -10 litres for £5 @ boot sale :LOL: Sieved the bits out through the Mrs. tights
Blimey that's good, could do with a few of those myself ; also used the Mrs old tights trick but alwyas best to use the foot bit! :LOL:

use a sheep skin roller they hardly splash at all but are expensive , go to a trade centre and it should cost around £15 for the sleve and handle and it will wash out alot better, the cheap ones tend to hold in the paint and only let it out overnight after it has been washed, then in the morning the roller is no good anymore (decorator for 22 years)

Must admit I’ve spent nearly that on a couple of the expensive rollers I’ve tried & been disappointed with but I’ve never tried sheepskin; thought it was, maybe, a little old fashioned & didn’t think it would matter. Thanks for the tip, will give it a try. ;)

are these "pour the paint in the middle of it" rollers any good or not something the pro's would use?

Ok very new to this site and i have a question along these lines, will bore you (it has me).

Taken 2 years and a lot of unearthing of nightmares of my front rooms but have finally got them totally skimmed over boards and old plaster thursday and looking very light pink already!

Have done some hunting and this is what i've come up with -

- Going to leave the plaster another 2 weeks ( to be safe ),
- 'Mist' 50/50 Dulux Supermatt
- 2nd coat it with Dulux Supermatt 60/40?
- 3rd coat it with Dulux Supermatt 80/20?
- Now time for 2 coats of normal Dulux Matt paint?
Am i over doing the sealing coats and don't need 3rd seal or is this going to be best bet?

I am sure you boys answer this too many times, sorry for the bother!

Much appreciated

Ok very new to this site and i have a question along these lines, will bore you (it has me).

Taken 2 years and a lot of unearthing of nightmares of my front rooms but have finally got them totally skimmed over boards and old plaster thursday and looking very light pink already!

Have done some hunting and this is what i've come up with -

- Going to leave the plaster another 2 weeks ( to be safe ),
- 'Mist' 50/50 Dulux Supermatt
- 2nd coat it with Dulux Supermatt 60/40?
- 3rd coat it with Dulux Supermatt 80/20?
- Now time for 2 coats of normal Dulux Matt paint?
Am i over doing the sealing coats and don't need 3rd seal or is this going to be best bet?

I am sure you boys answer this too many times, sorry for the bother!

Much appreciated
"Own brand" matt (not silk) white @ 25% is fine for fresh plaster but give that skim & those new boards 10-14 days to dry out first :LOL: Give it at least 2 coats in quick sucession & let dry overnight before finishing. ;)

I am going to paint the new plaster (4-5 days old) with a mist coat of Dulux Supermatt 25% water 75% paint.

Does anyone know how long I need to wait before painting the next coat? Does it have to be fully dry before doing the 2nd coat?

Thanks

see directly above your post..

wait 10-14 days and give it 2 coats one after the other..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back