Repairing Cracking new plaster over old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are many posts on this subject but none exactly similar to my specific issue, I'm hoping you guys can help!

I have a 1927 brick built house (the type with large chunks of black morter in between bricks that are barely 'brick' shaped!!

The old plaster is white in colour and has had a new skim of fresh plaster put over the top. Only 3/4 months later having painted the walls, cracks are appearing and run in 1/2m lines, then break into two lines and branch and branch.

The cracks never get large enough to insert a coin but they're very visible! Having 'tapped' the fresh plaster hasn't blown and so I can only assume that it is the old plaster underneath that is causing the issue.

I have filled them and repainted but they reappear within a month, particularly during the cold months, during summer the cracks aren't so frequently appearing.

Ripping all the plaster off down to brick isn't an option and so I'm looking for the best alternative, which seems to be...

1. Gouge/Dig deep into the line of the crack using a flat blade screwdriver or similar, and then fill with polyfiller flexible filler, sand and repaint

2. Cut the fresh plaster off about an inch eitherside of the crack lines, PVA glue scrim tape to the old plaster where the cracks have appeared, then fill the gap with flexible polyfiller or similar once dry?

Really appreciate your help as this is bl**dy frustrating!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back