Repairing drill holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

When repairing drill holes do you have to take the screws you have drilled in out or, as I've read elsewhere - actually put them further in and use putty over them.

The general method for repairing drill holes is using putty then painting over right?

Thanks for helping.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd remove them and make good thereafter. Although the chances are maybe slim, either you or someone else could be drilling a hole there in the future, so best if you're not met by a buried screw from x years previous.

Sponsored Links
An old chap advised me to plug redundant holes with piece of wood shaped to be a tight fit in the hole. Then if in the future a new screw hole needed to be made then the new hole would not merge into the old hole and leave the new screw a loose fix in the wall.

I was told by a preservation expert once to leave old nails in, by all means burry them a little deeper but not to pull them out. I guess he would have said the same for screws?

Hiding a sunken screw head is difficult, the hole is too wide and shallow - putty is probably as good as anything else if over painting, but it takes ages to dry and will probably shrink and crack at some point in the future.

The best and quickest repairs I have made with drill holes is to take a piece of similar wood just bigger than the hole, soak in glue then hammer in. if not perfect finnish off with a bit of caulk. Job done in ten minutes and ready for next stage.

What do you mean by screw holes. Screw holes in timber or walls?

If walls, I remove the screw and punch the nylon plug below the surface and then fill.

If, for example, door hinge screw holes and I plan to move the screws by a couple of mm, I super glue in matches or make suitable sized dowels.

I do not understand why any one would fill holes with linseed oil putty, or do you mean two part epoxy putty?

https://www.timber-repair.co.uk/timber_repair_shop.htm#Putty

I'd remove them because if they get moist at any point they can rust, expand and push the repair filler out..

When repairing drill holes do you have to take the screws you have drilled in out or, as I've read elsewhere - actually put them further in and use putty over them..

In wood?

Or in a wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back