Repairing dripping 22mm CH pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve found the source of a small irritating very slow drip in my kitchen ceiling. Its an old join of a 22mm (I think) CH pipe that goes to/from boiler. See photo.

I’ve drained the system and got access to it from below and above. What is the best way of fixing this? Ive bought one of these and was simply going to cut away a section and fit it but is there an easier way – like something I can wrap on it etc. Thanks

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!CFI301REP22!!/

View from above. Top pipe.

Sponsored Links
Cut a section out and use 2 x 22mm compression straight coupler and a piece of pipe. Can only do this if you can pull the pipe back enough to get it in coupler.

Or you can use what you bought as long it is a slip coupler and able to get in.
Cut both side just outside of old solder joint, clean off, deburr cut edge and inside the coupler is a long sleeve with a stop further away, use that side first and push in first pipe and then line up both pipe, push back into other pipe till it stop. Use jointing compound if necessary.

Daniel.

Cut a section out and use 2 x 22mm compression straight coupler and a piece of pipe. Can only do this if you can pull the pipe back enough to get it in coupler.

Or you can use what you bought as long it is a slip coupler and able to get in.
Cut both side just outside of old solder joint, clean off, deburr cut edge and inside the coupler is a long sleeve with a stop further away, use that side first and push in first pipe and then line up both pipe, push back into other pipe till it stop. Use jointing compound if necessary.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel

This is what Ive bought. I think its what you describe with a 'stop' about half inch from one end and about 3" in from the other end.

There is pretty much no play left or right with the pipe at all (not that I can tell withut cutting it).

Ive got PTFE tape, could I use that or is jointing compound better.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you cut the pipe, clean both ends.

Then you should be able push it to one side, put the nuts and olives on each end then slide the coupling on one pipe, then back onto the other end. (Looks like it only does this one end)

Put some jointing compound where the olive sits, slide olives and nuts up, then do up joint.

Don't do it to tight, hand tight then a quarter turn, you can always nip up a bit more if it leaks, if you over tighten and it leaks, you won't be able to stop it.

Hth

When you cut the pipe, clean both ends.

Then you should be able push it to one side, put the nuts and olives on each end then slide the coupling on one pipe, then back onto the other end. (Looks like it only does this one end)

Put some jointing compound where the olive sits, slide olives and nuts up, then do up joint.

Don't do it to tight, hand tight then a quarter turn, you can always nip up a bit more if it leaks, if you over tighten and it leaks, you won't be able to stop it.

Hth

Thanks ..did just that & managed to slip it to one side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back