Repairing exterior textured coatings

10 Oct 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom

Can anyone provide any advice on how to repair and maintain exterior textured coatings? Our victorian semi is covered with a cream textured coating - this is generally in good condition however this coating is cracked in two places - inspection suggests that the pointing around two bricks is cracked and the coating has come off one half of a brick and a further spalled brick near the chimney. Water is clearly getting in through this cracked brick as there is a huge damp patch in a bedroom exactly in line with this breached area of coating.

We do not know what brand of coating was applied to the house and only want to patch the pointing and achieve a good colour match and have no idea whether we need a general builder to fix this, a specialist textured coating supplier, or whether we can do this ourself (with very limited diy experience!)

Our building survey obtained when we bought the house suggested that the textured coating would need repainting about now - can we simply use exterior masonry paint or would be be better off using silicon paint in the area of the leak to prevent any further water ingress!

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance......
Sponsored Links
When you say 'coating' are you trying to describe rendering or a thick layer of exterior emulsion? If the former , then you'll need to patch-repair the render then coat with Weathrsheild or similar..In the latter you just need to apply a couple of coats of Weathershield etc.
You could fill any cracks by rubbing-n some caulk or acrylic frame sealant ;)
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem.

In general you would NOT be able to repair this area successfully. Spray applied wall coatings are meant to be a seamless system, i.e. no joins, and it is applied as one complete film onto the wall. The only way, in my opinion, to repair it is to contact whoever did the job originally, or a similar company at least, and get then to scrape the old coating off, repair the patches and any defects found under the coating (which is why a coating often cracks, its not the coating , its poor preparation underneath), and then get them to reapply a coating to the affected area.

Best of luck and i hoe you get it sorted.
Sponsored Links
I would just like to repost this question. I have a similar situation with regards to some, what I think is, sprayed on masonry coating.

I would just like to ask the question again if there are any products I could use to achieve a similar finish?

I have already cut away the loose coating, hacked out the majority of the loose render and repaired with mortar. My choices at the moment are to use some sort of product that might give a close finish over the areas that have been repaired or to smooth down the edges of the coating so that the lines are not as obvious and paint over.

To be honest, I don't mind too much if I end up doing the latter, but I would not want to do it if there turns out to be a good product I can use to not only make it look less obvious, but also better protect my repair work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local