Repairing external rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house built about 1930 of single brick that still has what I take to be the original render. There are hairline cracks that have let in water and caused damp on an internal wall.

I want to replace the render, which extends around a corner, to a total length of roughly 12ft by 4ft high. I have browsed the forums as to how this should be done but get more confused the more I read! There seem to be a dozen and more opinions about using, or not: pva - how much, when and in what dilution; the same applies to sand, cement and lime; galvanised or stainless steel for the corner? Can anyone supply a definitive answer?

I live in Worcester, so if there are any local experts who might want to take on and do an expert job - I'm 'listening'.

Sponsored Links
Use SBR bonding agent for prepping the wall - do not use PVA on external or wet walls.

You can use plastic render beads - dont use galv.

Piecing in a patch, of the dimension you give, suggests that the whole render needs a careful examination.
Its useless patching in, applying a finish, and maybe painting, and then returning a year or two later for more repairs.

The mix will depend on a number of factors (eg. the existing finish), best decided on site.

Nowadays, external insulation is the way to go, but again, its all elevations to be done at once - not patched in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back