Repairing leak on Asphalt roof and later rubber roof coating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a 6x7M flat roof mid-terrace concrete house. There is a leak coming into the bedroom during very heavy rain. (luckily this winter has been dry!!)

I am going abroad for 3 months in 9 days, so am looking to make a quick temporary repair.

I've been up on the roof a few times and have taken various pictures. The only thing I can see in general is that there are large sections of the asphalt which are rippled, but that all of it still seems strong (no cracking) and I can't see any shingles that have come away from another.

Except for one! It is about an 8 cm gap that obviously needs sticking back down to the shingle beneith it. (see picture.)

What can I buy to do this as a temporary job to last at least 4 months - give that we're now in Spring. (South central UK). Some basic mastic filler product from Wilkinsons perhaps?

My next question is, when I have returned from abroad, I would really like to coat the whole roof in liquid rubber to make a seamless coat that would ideally last at least 15 years. The product at rubbaroof.co.uk looks good.

Would I need a primer for my Asphalt? I'm hoping not. Please see the picture to get an idea if my surface is porous or not. I'm also hoping not to have to cut open any blisters. Ideally I would just like to roll paint over them, without pressing down too much, since the liquid rubber is supposed to adhear to any contours.

Their description for asphalt application is:

Bituminous Surfaces (Roofing Felt, Asphalt etc): Remove all loose chippings, dust, fungal growth etc. Note that where chippings remain embedded, the surface area is substantially increased and will require a commensurately greater amount of coating in order to provide the minimum thickness. Allow to dry thoroughly, including the evaporation of moisture from within the layers of felt. At least 3 coats are recommended over chippings. Cut open any blisters and coat the underside with Rubba-Roof Professional™ and secure with felt nails, brushing out any exuded liquid. Rubba-Roof Professional™ Primer can be used on aged felt which has become friable but primer is not necessary on good surfaces. Apply Rubba-Roof Professional™ as directed above.

Many thanks for your advice! Here's a picture of part of my roof. The gloves crudely mark where my house starts and finishes. Photo was taken on a rainy / dry day.

Sponsored Links
Lots of temporary roof repair paints etc you can use, long term look at epdm, requires ripping off old covering [you can then check it's all sound before covering.]You can expect up to 40 year life from epdm.

Agree with the above post....EPDM is the way to go.

For a temp repair? Acrypol (spelling) maybe?

Acropyl might buy you a bit of time.

If you are fitting an epdm roof, the existing roof needs stripping right back.
New T & G osb decking and glue the rubber down.

Sponsored Links
Lots of temporary roof repair paints etc you can use, long term look at epdm, requires ripping off old covering [you can then check it's all sound before covering.]You can expect up to 40 year life from epdm.

And how would you seal the EPDM to the adjoining property? How long would you guarantee this seal for, and remembering the party wall act, how far would you go onto the adjoining property?

OP

That Asphalt is fubar, its lost its oil and can no longer expand and contract.

You can put a liquid coating on it, but you won't be capable of doing it properly with flrrce and embediment coats etc. Rubbaroof is ****.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back