Repairing rock faced blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

The front garden wall of my bungalow was built about 40 years ago, is constructed of rock faced blocks (see pics), and the facing of some of these blocks has been damaged by water/frost egress. I've made enquiries in my locality (North Wales/ Cheshire) but no joy so far finding replacement blocks from a reclaim supplier, so I was wondering whether anyone knew a way of effecting repairs to the facing which wouldn't be beyond the capability of a DIYer?

Is if feasible to apply a render to blend into the existing face, and if so, what mix should be used? The blocks have been discoloured by lichen etc, so I would need to colour the render to match. Or alternatively, just wait for Nature to take its course.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I think I'd leave them if I were you. They look fine to me. Smearing mortar on them is just asking for trouble.

Spread some bio yoghurt and cow muck on the spalled areas and they'll soon develop a lichen covering of their own. Lichen patina on stones should be considered pleasurable

Sponsored Links
Spalling due to frost. It may not be apparent from the pictures because they don't show the worst of the damage, but one block in particular has lost its entire face.

Sorry late in replying, just got back from shopping for a bucket of yoghurt and a cow.

I've knocked off the loose stuff and replaced the most seriously damaged block with a spare given to me by my neighbour.

Is there any product or treatment that I can apply to the wall to limit further frost damage?

TIA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back